- What are the company’s credentials?
- Do they have a set of standards?
- Do they post their standards on their website for everyone to see?
- Are they an experienced company?
- How many projects have they done?
- What is their WCB Account Number and who is their Contact Person?
- Do they have a Liability Insurance Certificate?
(a copy should be readily provided which outlines a policy number and insurer, and amount of insurance coverage).
- Are they bonded? ( construction bonding, don’t confuse with insurance)
- What organizations do they belong to?
- Can they provide references ,with valid names and addresses?
- Do they provide a full, detailed written estimate which specifies the process, products and all other project details?
- Do they ask for a large deposit? Be extremely cautious when they do!
- Are you dealing with a pushy salesperson who asks you to sign a contract and to provide a deposit before they leave?
- Do they specialize in painting and restoration?
Or are they a General Contractor that provides a painting or restoration service?
- Will they use their own crew for the work or do they sub-contract?
- Are the jobs supervised or are labourers just dropped off at the site and left unattended each day without quality control or management?
- Do they take photos of the work; before, during and after?
- Is a completion time frame provided and is the work completed in consecutive days?
- Are they readily available by phone and able to return calls the same day or are you dealing with an answering service?
- How long have they been in the business with the same address and phone number?
- Do they have a website that can provide you with additional information?